Monday, May 18, 2009

Trying new things: No Layers?!

Stamps: Hanna Stamps Bridal; (Sentiments retired SU)
Paper: Papertrey White
Ink: Versafine Black; Pink Pirouette; Mellow Moss;
Other: Sheer Organdy Ribbon; Nesties
Cards measure 4.25x5.5


Good Monday Morning! How was you weekend? Typical here. Nothing exciting. But I did get 5 cards made. That is HUGE for me! (Remember that when I went away a few weeks ago that I only made 4 for the whole stamping weekend.)

A few weeks ago I was browsing the forums on SCS. (I don't do this often, because I get easily sucked in and can spend hours reading and commenting). I came across a thread that was referring to 'CAS cards'. Now I have been around the stamping forums and Yahoo groups for many years. Stamping acronyms are normal speak to me. RAK, SCS, MOP, CASE...etc...etc...But what the heck is a CAS card? What is this foreign tongue they are speaking in? I kept reading the thread to see if I could figure it out. I figured that they were referring to cards that did not have lots of layers and embellishments. But still, what was CAS? Finally someone else asked and the answer was Clean And Simple cards. Aaaaah...mystery revealed! LOL!

In case you haven't noticed I like layers...lots of 'em! I like paper. Lots of patterns. And literally, I cannot make a card that does not have embellies. It is incomplete to me.

The Hanna Stamps weekly challenge for last week was a NO layer card. Piece of cake! Sure, it's not my norm, but that is what makes it a challenge!!!! A challenge should make you work outside of your normal comfort zone. I find it humorous that with some of the challenges I post on Thursdays that some readers reply that they won't be participating in that weeks challenge because it is something they aren't comfortable with. For example: when I posted the picture of the cake for inspiration. Some readers replied things like "I can't participate this week because I am not good at these inspiration picture challenges." Or when I posted the Technique Challenge...there weren't a lot of participants that week...why? Because people said they weren't "technique people". Guess what? I am not a "technique person" either! And I had no idea what I was going to make with the picture of that crazy cake! But that card ended up being one of my favorite cards. Remember what your mom use to tell you? You never know if you are going to like it or not until you try it. You may be pleasantly surprised. Or you may rediscover something that you have not done or used in a long time. Such was the case with no layers for me. I thought: no layer cards are not my style. But you know what? I kind of enjoyed returning to the 'CAS' feel. I had ideas for several different ways. I could have made several more cards. Will you be seeing only "no layer cards" on here from now on? probably not! LOL! But it was nice break from cards that take 2-3 hours each to make.

To make the card on the left I actually had to find a You Tube tutorial! LOL! I never used my nestabilities to emboss only. I have the Cuttlebug and I didn't know what the correct sandwich was. See that? Something new I learned by trying this challenge. ;) Of course I got sucked in to watching a ton of You Tube tutorials while I was there...LOL! I am so easily distracted!
I colored the plate in with my Silver Spica glitter pen. I liked the effect. I took a close up...although it looks prettier in real life.

To make the card on the right I cut out a scalloped oval with a piece of scrap and used it to mask the image that I colored. Then I sponged around it to give the image a frame.

I used the Bridal set by Hanna Stamps. Which is an enjoyable set!! Lots of images to make different kinds of cards like wedding, shower, engagement....etc...

>>>>>>>Also JUST IN!!! Hanna Stamps just got in their graduation stamps!
Check em' out!!
<<<<<


Have a Delectable Monday!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love CAS cards. I love layers..depends on my mood I guess. These are wonderful!

Jacque said...

Kerry, these CAS cards are stunning!!! But I think it would take me all day just to figure it all out...lolol...no room for errors and heaven knows I make too many to be CAS..lol...Hugs..Jacque

Tracey said...

Gorgeous cards Kerry!

Stef H said...

Amazing how hard a CAS card is to make, isn't it! But you aced it. These are gorgeous!

Hugs,

Jekka said...

These cards are beautiful in their simplicity. I LOVE the ribbon--it's the perfect accent to both cards.

Would you mind sharing the "sandwich" you used for your Cuttlebug to just emboss? I haven't done this yet either with mine and I'm curious to know how.

Suzy said...

Realy great.

Kathy W said...

thanks for filling me in on "CAS" acronym- I too have been guilty of too much scs surfing time.
great "cas" card btw...

Basement Stamper said...

Love the CAS!! My favorite site for inspiration on these is: http://cleanandsimplestamping.blogspot.com/

Great one layer cards!

Sharon Caudle said...

These turned out beautiful, Kerry! What an inspiration you are! I think I'm going to have to try one of these. *wink*
hugs!
Sharon

Ittybittyinkspotstoo said...

Your CAS cards are gorgeous!! You did a fab job!
Simple is good, we sometimes forget what simple is!
Both are Elegant!!
hugz
deb

Danni said...

Wonderful, wonderful job! And yes, challenges are just that, challenges!!

jacque4u2c said...

Just so soft beautiful and elegant!

Mary C said...

I love these cards Kerry! I think you can do whatever you put your mind to! I bet these aren't your last CAS cards.

Jessica G. said...

Awesome cards, Kerry! Just proves that CAS can be very elegant as well as productive!!

Kim said...

Way to step outside of your comfort zone Kerry! You did a fabulous job hun!!! I love them!!!
Hugs~ Kim

Lorie said...

Oh, my...your cards are WONDERFUL! I'll have to try that reverse masking sometime! :o)

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Your cards are very pretty! CAS would be a challenge for me too.

Elena said...

Your cards are so elegant! They simply shows how talented you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails